I have a stalker...

Yep, a bona fide stalker. Here is the story...

Late one night while I am working, I get a call from a potential customer. He was quite effeminate sounding, with a little drawl. While he is asking about our services, he starts to throw out these little personal questions, like "Where are you?" etc. Lots of customers like to chit chat, so I oblige for awhile, but pretty soon he starts saying stuff like "your voice is very nice" and "talking to you makes me so happy". Pretty soon he starts asking prying personal questions, and I cut him off. "I am sorry sir, I do not give out that kind of information". He starts asking if he can call me, and if I will give him my name, email address, phone number etc. I say no, I am not interested in any kind of non professional contact. Then he starts telling me how Jesus loves me, and that he will be praying for me. He made SURE I knew he was sane, and "not black". He started crying a little at one point. Then he tells me to write down his phone number and email address just in case I change my mind. "Put it in your purse so you don't loose it" he says. He has a really unnerving voice. Well, his email address is something like "saneman@yahoo.com". It was ironic because he is anything but. Finally I ended the call, he did not sign up for service and I was totally creeped out! Mason heard what I was saying and was getting a little angry. I was thankful that I figured out he was a creep when I had only told him what state I was in.

Well, NOW he keeps calling at night and asking for "the woman who works there that he talked to before". I am the only woman who answers the phone so everyone knows he is asking for me. He has finally signed up for service, and has sent letters into the office in Grand Rapids with his phone number asking for me to call him. So far he has not gotten me on the phone again, but now I am afraid to answer it. He scares me. I think I will hang up on him. No, I am positive.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was just watching Oprah the other day, about trusting your instincts in situations like this, not trying to dismiss your feelings or feel obligated to be nice to the person who makes you uncomfortable. So definitely stay far away!! Does your job provide caller ID for customers who are calling in since you have his contact now??
I had a really awful experience when Noelle was a baby - I was at my parents' alone with Noelle and their dog ran away - a man found him and brought him back, and he followed me into the house with the dog when I went inside to check on Noelle. He stayed for a really long time talking to me until my mom came home from lunch. He talked about God too like your stalker guy. It was awful and I was so shaken up afterwards. I don't know if he wanted reward money or what. But in the future I hope I can be more assertive to protect myself and my children.

Most Viewed