Southern Words and Phrases

Thanks to my new friends I am learning some interesting new phrases that are uniquely southern. Here are a few, and to all you southerners feel free to correct me on the definitions.

Hey:
Means Hi or Hello. No one here says Hi. It's "Hey" or "How Ya'll Doin?" sometimes the occasional "Howdy".
Daggum
or Daggone:
The equivalent of darn.
Might Can:
As in we may do something. "We might can go to the store later"
Sketch:
Someone or something that is "sketchy" as in possibly dangerous, or unstable.
Fundie:
A fundamentalist, not sure if it only applies to Christians or to anyone fundamental about anything.
Re-lick The Dog:
To do something again, in the hopes of better results.
Cut on /Cut off: turn on /turn off as in lights/radio/TV. I don't think it can be used in the arousal kind of turn on, like "you really cut me on".
All The Way:
When you order a Hot Dog "All The Way" they put everything on in, including coleslaw and chili!
Toboggan:
In the south a Toboggan is a hat, like a stocking cap, not a sled. Funny story, a guy in my apartment building kept asking me if I lost my toboggan... I said, "It doesn't even snow here, why would I even have a toboggan?" It took us a long time and some sign language to figure it out.
Bless Your Heart:
This is NOT the same as in the north. Bless your heart means "I totally disagree with you", or possibly "Sucks to be you". "Bless your heart that is the ugliest shirt I have ever seen" It is very passive aggressive "round these parts".

Comments

Anonymous said…
Don't forget "usedtacood" As in, I usedtacood do 20 pushups in a row, but now I can't.

Most Viewed