I wash my hair in French...

This may sound kind of Seinfeldian, but I want to know why all shampoo bottles, facial cleansers, moisturisers, ect. have french on them. This has been something that has perplexed me for years. Today I was standing in the shower, looking at all the bottles of shampoo and such, and everything had french on it. I even have two different brands of dog shampoo and BOTH of those had french on the label. DOG SHAMPOO come on!

I have several theories as to why this might be. First is that France imports all of it's soap and hygenic products from the U.S. Now, I know this cannot be true, and seems rediculous. Especially in light of the fact that many of the bottles just have french on the front label and not on the instructions... Apparently the french only need to know that it is moisturizing facial cleanser, but not how to use it. The french are smart enough to know how to use soap without instructions.

Second theory is that our proximity to Canada requires french on all soap products. What has really blown this out of the water for me is that no other products include french. Why don't we have french on all of our bags of Cheetos and all cans of WD40? No, either Canadians are simply having a shampoo shortage, or there is some other reason.

Third theory, marketers of toiletries believe that we think their products are higher quality if some french appears on the labels. I find this insulting. I looked at my deodorant, it had french, I checked out my husband's, no french. Apparently they also believe women think french = good, whereas men do not care. I am sorry but my picture of french people is not of beautifully groomed, shiny haired, nicely complected, sweet smelling people. From those whom I know who have been to france, they say it is quite a smelly place, and europeans in general are not as concerned with grooming and hygene as we are. They are skinnier though, however I doubt it is because of the soap they use.

I really have no idea... I have a suspicion it is the marketing aspect. I wonder how many people would buy shampoo if it had German on it, or maybe Korean?

Comments

Most Viewed