Bumper Philosophy

This is one from the archives, every time we get around an election I start thinking about this... enjoy this was originally posted in April 2006

I am pondering this recent phenomenon in which people seem to find it necessary to plaster their personal philosophies on the bumpers of their vehicles. Yesterday I was driving to the mall when I was cut off by a large SUV. The back of this person's 40,000 dollar vehicle was plastered with flag slathered stickers and conservative rhetoric. I immediately thought to myself "well that figures".

My next thought was of the responsibility you are unknowingly placing on yourself when you place a bumper sticker on the back of your car. Your road etiquette is now very important to your particular cause. Be honest, when someone with a Jesus fish on their tailgate cuts you off, or speeds past you in a no passing zone, don't you find yourself just a little angry with all Christians? When you are stuck behind someone driving 10 miles an hour under the speed limit and that little boy peeing on a Ford logo is staring at you with that taunting mischievous grin, doesn't it kind of make you want to trade in your American made car for a Honda or a Toyota?

From now on I think it is very important that if you are going to shout your values out to every motorist who drives behind you, that you should drive courteously, you never know who you are going to push off the fence by stopping short and ramming your message into their front fender.

I have been thinking about what message I would like to have on the back fender of my car... I think it should be a Calvin peeing on a Calvin, in the shape of a yin yang... What goes around comes around so be very careful who you are pissing on.

Comments

Nexuszen said…
Book Please. think erma bombeck style. your writing has real potential.
Nexuszen said…
book please. think Erma Bombeck
Style. your writing has real potential. call it "Ellie's journal" or "Ellie's Almanac."

Most Viewed