Facebook Chicken

So I have been watching my Facebook pop up on the right with suggested people that I probably know and how many people I have in common with them. The vast majority of these people are from high school and I always think... "well, if they wanted to catch up with me they would have requested to be my friend". And I just let it go, but that pesky Facebook keeps popping them up over and over and I start to realize, maybe they are thinking the same thing about me, and are we playing some kind of social chicken to see you is the last to hold out? Nah... we just probably equally don't really care much and don't want our Facebook rolls littered up with junk we don't care about and really we are both just avoiding the guilt of "hiding" each others content.

Then after the same person pops up three or four times and we have 20 or more common friends I start to get offended... like HEY why don't they request my friendship? Was I so bad? I know I must be popping up on their facebook and they MUST be seeing my posts on at least a few of these common friends. Now I am totally stuck, if I request them NOW after so much time I am going to look like a desperate loser who requests to be friends with people who don't like me. OR What if *gasp* they don't REMEMBER me?! Which leads to a whole new kind of low self esteem... So... thanks Facebook... thanks for allowing me to relive the pain of childhood in a whole new way. And, if you are out there wondering if you should ask to be my friend on Facebook, go ahead, cause I'll never do it.

Comments

Nexuszen said…
yup. I've done t5his but i've also taken a chance & failed miserably. still, you never know what great friends you'll make. ;)

Most Viewed