Humiliated at the Park

This week I have started walking for exercise, today was my second day pushing a stroller with two kids in it as fast as I can stand for two and a half miles. I even busted out my cool nike sky blue sweat wicking workout capri pants and even though they were too tight and my underwear was showing through I was excited to wear them because look out world, I am working OUT. After walking with a couple friends for 45 minutes in some serious humidity and sweating like mad, we decided to hit the park and let the kids get some exercise.
So I arrive at the park, load the baby into the sling, and chase the excited three year old as she runs across the parking lot to the much anticipated swing set. As I am walking to the swings a woman I don't know says with increasing volume "excuse me ma'am! MA'AM!! EXCUSE ME!!! MA"AM!!!" repeatedly until everyone looks at us both. I do finally turn around and she silently mouths "your bleeding" and points to her crotch. Super awesome, so thanks for your subtlety lady now EVERYONE in the park can tell my period has gotten out of control. I did look down and much to my horror I discover that my pants wick far more than just sweat as there is a giant red stain growing down my legs.
Well, I had one of two choices, drag the screaming disappointed three year old to the car right after we get there all the while trying to explain about my mommy blood and creating an even bigger scene or use the baby sling as a skirt and let the kids swing for 15 minutes in order to satisfy the swing promise I had made earlier. I chose the later.
As I am pushing the baby in her swing the good Samaritan lady puts her kid in the swing next to me and says "well good for you just cover it up and keep going" in that southern way that is just so not complementary. I am surprised she didn't add "bless your heart" to the end of it. Needless to say that was IT. I smiled a pretty southern smile, I gathered up my girls, tightened my sling skirt with my one free hand and proudly walked to my car with dignity! Now off to oxy-clean my car seat.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Now that's the kind of embarrasment that builds character!
Micki D

Most Viewed