Southern Snow Day

We had six inches of snow fall on us Sunday evening, of course all the schools, and businesses were closed on Monday. There were lines of people at the grocery store stocking up on bread and milk. (I am not sure WHY they choose these two items, I think it may be completely arbitrary.) The top story on all the channels was the "BIG SNOW".

My first reaction is to roll my eyes and start in with the "in Michigan we eat six inches of snow for breakfast" routine. This time however, I just observed the excitement around me. This was not anxiety this was a holiday! Everyone, and I mean everyone went out side. They dusted off the sleds that have been sitting in the basement for who knows how long. There is a snowman in every yard, complete with hats, scarves, and sunglasses. I even saw some teenagers trying to snowboard in the church parking lot across the street. Everyone I talked to told me their snow day story. Even the weather guy on the local news was chirping happily as he reported how many inches had fallen over night. This town lit up with an energy that was just shy of giddy.
Back in Michigan a snow day is torture for adults. The kids are all home and yet we are all expected to come to work unless it is something catastrophic, and by catastrophic I mean you can't open the door to your home because the snow has covered it. So it just means we have to get up an hour early to allow for the slow driving, or take a sick day to be home with the kids. While the kids are happy to stay home, they have seen so much snow that it isn't that exciting to go build ANOTHER snow man. So it ends up just a house full of crabby people who are praying the electricity doesn't go out.

I have to admit, snow days in North Carolina, even though they are ridiculous and completely unnecessary, are definitely fun. I think I may discontinue my winter elitism and just enjoy the snow. I think my southern friends have it right, sometimes you have to take a day off from the normal routine to go outside and play.

Comments

Most Viewed