My Thoughts On Music

I have a pretty eclectic taste in music. However I am not fond of "urban" music, or popular country music. I enjoy Jazz, Blues, Classical, Bluegrass, Folk, and alot of things that can't quite be classified into any of the music store catagories. Can anyone tell me WHY Leon Redbone keeps getting put in the POP/ROCK section? One of my favorite guitarists of all time is Don Ross, and he keeps getting put in the "new age" section which I cannot understand! Just because something is instrumental doesn't automatically make it Yanni. Who makes these decisions? Don't get me wrong I am not dissin' Yanni, he is talented, and if you need your chakra's aligned I am sure this would be your music of choice. I just think that people like Don Ross and Phil Keaggy deserve a catagory that is more fitting to thier particular style, like "Seriously Talented", or possibly "Great Guitar", I would even be satisfied with "Better Music Than Pretty Much Everything Else In This Store".

I have a confession to make, I don't like Leonard Cohen. I tried, I really did, I mean, an eclectic, sensative, free-thinking person such as myself really SHOULD like him. But, sadly, I just don't, but I did try, really I did, I promise. On the flip side, I really like "The Rockafeller Skank" by Fat Boy Slim. I know, it just isn't me and a little part of me is slightly ashamed but, hey, right about now, the funk soul brother, and sometimes that is just right on...

One thing I am sick to death of is 80's music! Please, no more Softcell. If I have to hear that song one more time I might hurl. I mean "Gag Me!".
"Some times I feel... I've got to... RUN AWAY!!!"
Far Away!!! I also never want to hear Modern English's "I Melt With You" again any time soon. I'll stop the world and puke with you! I have very little nostalgia for the 80's. Most of it was pretty shallow, and rather tasteless!

I say we let one hit wonders such as these have a peaceful yet permanent death and only ressurect them on those slightly tipsy evenings when we want to laugh about the ridiculousness of our youth!

One last note to karaoke duet singers, I am begging you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't do Love Shack... Do something else, anything else, The Time Of My Life from Dirty Dancing, or the tired old Grease duets, but no more Love Shack! I don't think the B52's even like that song anymore, in fact, aside from the royalties, I am pretty sure they are sorry they ever wrote it.

Comments

Most Viewed