What is going on in this country?!?

I have many questions today that I think need answers. I am tired of looking at the news and seeing pictures and hearing third world type descriptions of Louisiana. I mean, what is this country comming to. Why didn't the national guard get sent in the first day, the first minute after this storm? It has been 5 days and JUST NOW the guard is being deployed? Where was the president? I should be seeing pictures of him standing in the rubble bringing hope to the people, but he hasn't even been there yet. Five days later and there are thousands upon thousands upon thousands of people stranded with no food or water or shelter. How can this be?

We are not living in a country with limited resources, we are in the United States, with the largest military force in the world by like 30 times! Why aren't we using some of the resources to help these people? I do not understand our government, here they are on the TV passing the hat for these people, however, no one "passed the hat" for the people in Iraq, we weren't even asked if we want to help the poor people of Iraq to initiate democracy yet, here in our benevolent country where thousands upon thousands of people are dying, starving, and drowning, they don't even have enough resources to keep a hospital running. I pay my taxes, and if federal money was meant for ANYTHING it was meant to be used unsparingly in situations like this. Come on!

Wake up america!! WAKE UP, realize that the only people our government cares about are the rich and powerful. I think the reason no one is helping the poor people in the south is because they really don't care. Where is our compassionate president who belives "Every life is precious" where are you now? Why wasn't the national guard waiting outside the city during the storm? Why are they not there yet? With all our preparedness for "terrorist" strikes was this not even considered an emergency. I mean didn't we just spend years and billions of dollars to provide during just this kind of a disaster? So the terrorist is mother nature, at least she gave us plenty of warning!

Why, tell me, in all the pictures I see are there ONLY black people waiting for aid. Poor black people who are suffering? If they cry out discrimination, well, who can blame them, they are being discriminated against, clearly in the most horrifying way.

Well, let us look at what the president HAS done in response. He has released barrels of crude oil. I am sure the people waiting for help on the roofs of flooded homes are comforted to know that.

The most frustrating part of this whole thing is my helplessness. I am helpless to do anything about this. I didn't vote for this administration, I have been rallying against it from day 1, and now this. I cannot believe my eyes!

Is anyone as shocked as I am?

Ellie

Comments

Most Viewed